Our curriculum recognizes that mathematics is an essential tool for life and we aim that the children can successfully use and apply their knowledge in a variety of situations. An emphasis will be placed upon fluency, reasoning and problem solving. Equal attention is given to pupils becoming numerate. Children are taught mathematics using a ‘mastery’ approach. As part of this approach we work to ensure that all children acquire the required knowledge and skills before moving on to new concepts.
At Polesden Lacey Infant School we aim to develop:
• An enjoyment and interest in mathematics through a rich variety of activities, including cross curricula links.
• Mathematical fluency through rapid recall of number facts and mental strategies.
• The ability to reason about a concept, make connections by identifying and explaining relationships through appreciation of pattern.
• The confidence to communicate ideas orally and in written form.
• The ability to think clearly and logically, working independently and with others to solve problems.
If you would like to know more about the Teaching for Mastery please visit the NCTEM website:
Useful websites with ideas for deepening understanding:
We use White Rose Maths as our basis to deliver curriculum coverage, following their small steps. This inclusive approach helps children develop their conceptual understanding of mathematics by using concrete objects, pictorial representations and abstract thinking.